Re: AW: st: bottom to top or reverse cumulative distribution in table command?

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: AW: st: bottom to top or reverse cumulative distribution in table command?
Date   Fri, 22 Jan 2010 13:58:24 +0100

Thanks Nick for the "ge" addition to 'groups', works great.

Maarten Buis wrote:
-tabulate- is a built-in command (i.e. it is part of the
executable, not written in ado or mata), so it is unlikely
that any user written command can improve on that.

That's right and I didn't expect that.
What I meant to write is that calculations can take significant time in big datasets.

Performance example (Dual Core PC, 2 Gig Ram, Stata 11 MP):

1. One variable in a dataset

set rmsg on
set obs 2000000
gen x = int(uniform() * 10)

tab x 						// 0.44 sec.
groups x,show(freq rpercent) ge		// 12.8 sec.
reversecum x					// 5.0 sec.

2. 20 variables in a dataset

set obs 2000000
forval x = 1/20 {
gen x`x' = int(uniform() * 10)
}
tab x1						// 0,44 sec.
groups x1,show(freq rpercent) ge		// 14.2 sec.
reversecum x1					// 29.2 sec.

BTW: The first time (0.44 sec.) reminds me of my first Stata experience a decade ago.
I worked with SPSS at university before and couldn't believe how fast Stata was.
(instant tabulate results...wow)

Thanks again

Stefan