RE: st: movestay command

From   Zurab Sajaia <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: movestay command
Date   Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:15:12 -0500

Hi Sergio,

As it's outlined in the help for -movestay-, you can specify all three equations separately, e.g

movestay (y1 x11 x12 x13) (y2 x21 x22 x23 x24), select(s = z1 z2 z3 z4 z5)

in the original version of the program (SJ article) Xs from the main equations were automatically added to the selection equation, so z1-z5 (or just one z in that case) was interpreted as and extra instrument present in the selection equation (in addition tu all the Xs from the two wage equations) needed for identification.

But this was only in the original version of the program. I don't remember exactly since when(but for more then a year or so), the update of the program in SSC behaves slightly differently, allowing more flexibility:
now nothing is added automatically to the selection equation, you have to explicitly specify all the variables in there, so your Z vector should be the full vector of determinants of selection, not only instruments.

Hope this helps,
zurab