st: RE: AW: Interpreting interactions in probit and logit models

From   DE SOUZA Eric <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: AW: Interpreting interactions in probit and logit models
Date   Sun, 10 Jan 2010 22:13:58 +0100

Or here:
http://ideas.repec.org/p/han/dpaper/dp-386.html

Eric de Souza
College of Europe
Brugge (Bruges)
Belgium

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Martin Weiss
Sent: 10 January 2010 22:07
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: AW: Interpreting interactions in probit and logit models

<>

Have you had a look at http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0063 ? Or http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0178 ?

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von [email protected]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 10. Januar 2010 22:01
An: [email protected]

Dear Stata users,
if I have a significant interaction term in probit or logit model, how should I interpet it?

I have found this sentence: "as long as you interpret the interaction effects in terms of the effect on the latent variable you are ok in simply using the output from -probit- (i.e. the sig. of the coefficient); if you want to interpret the results in terms of the probabilit you should use -inteff-."

What is the difference between these two interpretations? In concrete terms: what can I say if I have a sig. interaction coefficient BUT THE INTERACTION EFFECT IS NOT SIGNIFICANT AFTER HAVING USED INTEFF OR RELATED POSTESTIMATIONS to check the effect on probability?? What are the specific conclusion I get from each of the two interpretations (on the latent variable and on the probability)?

(A final note (if it may help in the answer): I have this problem for two different regressions. In the firs regr, I have an interaction between "one dummy - one continuous" variables; in a second regression I have an interaction between two dummies).