Re: st: Missing chi squared in negative binomial

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Missing chi squared in negative binomial
Date   Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:44:56 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Mon, 4/1/10, joe j wrote:
> I ran a couple of negative binomial estimations - three
> specifications for each of my five dependent variables -
> and in just some models I find chi2 missing.

Your model specification looks too complicated (= too many
covariates) for your data. The negative binomial is a pretty
complicated model as it involves estimating a variance of a
variable you haven't observed (the alpha). So each
observation in the data contains relatively little
information that can be used in the estimation. This means
you require a lot of observations to get a reliable
estimate. 603 observations for estimating 45 parameters
means about 13 observations per parameter, which to me
just looks too small for a model like this. So I am not
surprised that Stata is complaining.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis