Re: RE: st: increasing time burden during resampling

Subject   Re: RE: st: increasing time burden during resampling
Date   Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:08:29 +0100

<>

To be honest, I have no idea why the computations slow down. My sentiment regarding the memory allocation comes from the Stata FAQs. For instance, http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/win/memory1.html, says:

"Some users think that if giving Stata 40 MB is good, giving Stata 60 MB or even 80 MB must be better. That is not true. Once enough memory has been allocated to Stata to allow it to load the current dataset, with enough extra room for whatever temporary variables, programs, macros, etc., might be needed during analysis, no speed improvements will be seen by giving even more memory to Stata. In fact, you may hurt Stata’s performance by forcing the OS to use virtual memory if you allocate too much memory to Stata. "

The [GSW] manual also notes in "B.1" that you should "...not specify more memory than you actually need. Doing so does not benefit Stata; in fact, it may slow Stata down!"

HTH
Martin

-------- Original-Nachricht --------