Re: st: -merge- in version11 fails to sort automatically

From   [email protected] (William Gould, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -merge- in version11 fails to sort automatically
Date   Mon, 07 Dec 2009 14:53:56 -0600

Continuing the thread about the problem of -merge- producing the
error "using data not sorted" when, under Stata 11, it is -merge-'s
responsibility to sort the data, Padmakumar Sivadasan
<[email protected]> wrote,

> As Martin suggested, I am including below the output when I run the
> -merge- with -set trace on-. Since I don't find an error notification
> at  -checksort- I have included the entire output from the beginning
> of the -merge- command till the error message.
>
> As Bill suggested, I shall also send my data and log files to Stata
> technical support.

The trace was adequate:  We have reproduced the problem and now
identified the cause.  We will fix it in the next ado-file update.

In the meantime, Padmakumar worked his way around the problem:

> I got around the problem by sorting and saving the two datasets before
> merging them (as I would do in Stata 10).

Padmakumar's workround is now the official workaround until we get the
problem fixed.

-- Bill