Re: st: RE: clustering question

From   "Data Analytics Corp." <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: clustering question
Date   Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:42:26 -0500

Hi,

Unfortunately, a predecessor, who died last year, did just this - so now
I'm expected to do it.   I suspected that I would have to run the whole
all over again.  This is perhaps what he did.  Oh, well - I had to ask.

Thanks,

Walt

Nick Cox wrote:
> I can't see that the request makes any sense.
>
> You might as well say "Last year, I calculated averages for the client,
> and the client was happy. Now the client has new data and wants new
> averages except that the old averages should be used in constructing
> them." You must choose: old or new or both.
>
> All you can do is apply the same method to the new data, and that takes
> no cognisance of the old data. In fact, the new clustering might be some
> sort of check on the old, except that it may be too late for the client.
>

> There are variants on this such as combining old and new datasets.
>
> It could be different, although not necessarily a better idea, for a
> method such as -pca-, which leaves pertinent results in its wake.
>
> Nick
> [email protected]
>
> Data Analytics Corp.
>
> Last year, I developed a simple three-cluster solution for a client
> based on survey data using the following:
>
>     cluster wardslinkage q16r6 q17r5 q17r7 q17aa1r1 q17ab1r1 q17ab1r7
> q17ab1r9 vytldl, measure(Gower) name(clus01);
>     cluster dendrogram clus01, xlabel(, angle(90) labsize(*0.75))
> cutnumber(30) title("Wave 17 Cluster Analysis")
>         note("Notes:" "Based on Wards linkage" "062209_1 cluster.do");
>     cluster gen g = group(3), name(clus01);
>
> The client was happy.  Now this year, the client redid the survey but
> wants to use the same cluster solution as last year, only with the data
> from the new survey.  How do I use the previous solution with new data?
>
> I have both Stata 10 and 11 for Windows.

Walter R. Paczkowski, Ph.D.
Data Analytics Corp.
44 Hamilton Lane
Plainsboro, NJ 08536