Re: st: re: TeX template for PDF help files

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: re: TeX template for PDF help files
Date   Mon, 23 Nov 2009 09:30:57 -0500

Just my two cents (worth about half a cent in these economic times, I guess):

It seems to me an extremely nice feature of Stata's user-extensibility, and the SSC integration that makes that extensibility relatively easy and seamless for even inexperienced users, is that user-written programs look and act like official Stata programs, including their help files.

I think it is easy for those of us comfortable with programming, multiple file formats and markup languages, the installation of helper applications, etc., it is easy to forget how quickly many users will become uncomfortable with things that don't look and act like official Stata.

So in my humble opinion, a move toward replacing SMCL help files with PDFs would be a mistake, unless that is part of a move by StataCorp to revamp the help system. But otherwise, we'll just end up with a mess where each author has their own templates, "look," etc.

Re: SMCL, I'm no huge fan, but it does seem to have some good features tied to the needs of displaying things in Stata (e.g., ability to run example code). In any case, I find coding SMCL by hand about as hard as coding simple HTML by hand, and considerably easier than coding simple LaTeX by hand. So I'd love to see the next iteration of the do-file editor include a more full-blown environment for writing help files.

- Nick Winter