Re: st: combine indicator values

From   Nikolaos Pandis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: combine indicator values
Date   Mon, 23 Nov 2009 02:48:51 -0800 (PST)

I would like to thank everybody for the postings.

Marten,
If I only enter child2 and child3 (independent variables) in the model how would child1 be used as a reference for child2 and child3? Perhaps, I am not understanding correctly how this works. Would the following command:

logistic depvar child2 child3 otherindepvar

use child1 as the reference?

If I combine the dummy vars (child 1, child2, child3) I would like the new var child_123   to look like:

id     child_123
1        1
2        1
3        1
4        3
5        2
6        1
7        3
8        2
9        1
10       3

In other words, I would like to have one variable that specifies for each id the corresponding level for the var child123. Reference category would be child123==1.

Many thanks,
Nick