Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .

From   Roy Wada <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is the proper way of modifying user-created ado-files. . .
Date   Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:42:23 -0800

> I completely and utterly subscribe to the fact that proper citations
> are necessary not only in academic text but also in programs that some

Thanks. I should have made it clear that this was not about what you
were proposing to do. This predates your thread.

My earlier comment to avoid going into another person's ado file was
not about propriety. I was merely suggesting that it is rarely worth
your trouble. I have done this before.

Many programs lack extensibility, i.e. they cannot be upgraded. Why
else would they fail to be upgraded. You will end up replacing codes,
and if you are going to replace them it's usually better to write it
from scratch, assuming you know how to write it from scratch.

Extensibility is something that needs to be built in from the start.
Too many people don't know this and they get stuck with a white
elephant. Seen one lately? They eat a lot and make mess on the floor.

If you are going to adopt a pet, you might want to make sure it's cute
and cuddley.

Roy