st: Partially stacked bar graph?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Partially stacked bar graph?
Date   Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:47:49 -0500

I have some four category variables coded: strongly approve, approve, disapprove, and strongly disapprove. I'd like to construct bar graphs to show frequency distributions for each variable by categories of a second (3 category) variable. I can do this with catplot but I'd like something a little different. I'd like to show the frequencies in two stacked bars: one showing approve and strongly approve and the other disapprove and strongly disapprove. This way readers can easily see the percentages approving and disapproving as well as strength. Can anyone suggest how to construct such a partially stacked bar graph? It's easy to show separate bars for each of the four categories or a single stacked bar but I can't see how to show two partial bars. Thanks in advance for your help.

Stanley Feldman

Stanley Feldman
Department of Political Science
Stony Brook University