Re: st: RE: baseline adjustment in mixed models

Subject   Re: st: RE: baseline adjustment in mixed models
Date   Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:54:33 -0500

Clyde et al.--
I haven't read other emails in this thread, but if -group- is an
indicator for a randomly assigned treatment, there is still good
reason for including baseline covariates, which can substantially
increase efficiency in some cases, and will not leave you worse off in
nearly any case.  In these models, you should also have a good
argument as to why the unobserved heterogeneity term is normally
distributed, or the random slopes are normally distributed, if that is
how you specify it. For example, baseline test scores may be normally
distributed by design, but individual-specific growth rates over time
need not be.  Ability is not normally distributed by many common
measures, to be sure.