st: Create graph directly from matrix?

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   Stata List <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Create graph directly from matrix?
Date   Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:38:14 -0500

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to convert the values held into a matrix into a graph (ie, into a serset that serves as the basis for a graph) directly, without first making the matrix into variables?

Why I'm curious:

I'm thinking about revising my -oprobpr- command, which plots predicted probabilities after order l/probit models. The new -margins- command can fairly easily calculate what's required for the plotting, and those results can be saved as a matrix, using -margins-'s -post- option.

So I'd like to plot the estimates returned in e(b) against values in e(at).

I can put this stuff all together in one matrix, eg:

sysuse auto
probit foreign mpg price weight

margins, atmeans at(mpg=(12(2.9)41)) post
mat b = e(b)
mat X = e(at)
mat Xy = X , b'

Then I'd like to create, eg, a line plot of the final column (named y1) against the first column (mpg).

I can, of course, use -svmat-, graph the relevant variables, and drop the variables.

But I'd love a more elegant solution.

Cheers,
Nick Winter

Nicholas Winter                                 434.924.6994 t
Assistant Professor                             434.924.3359 f
Department of Politics                  [email protected] e
University of Virginia          faculty.virginia.edu/nwinter w
PO Box 400787, 100 Cabell Hall
Charlottesville, VA 22904