RE: st: Learning stata graphics [was : Concerning the margins command]

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Learning stata graphics [was : Concerning the margins command]
Date   Fri, 13 Nov 2009 02:37:05 -0800 (PST)

--- On Fri, 13/11/09, b. water wrote:
> Amazing how 'Learning stata graphics' appeared from time to time! I
> found this: http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-07/msg00065.html.
> I too once mused about this (I think back in Stata 7), then
> I bought Michael Mitchell's book.

(You are not as old as you think ;-), the new graphics were introduced in
Stata 8 )

I think of making a graph in Stata as a process: I start with a rough
sketch, and step by step I refine it till I have the graph I want.

This is due to the necesarily complex nature of the syntax (we want the
flexibility to create exactly the graph we want, the price we have to pay
is there are lots and lots of options to choose from...), but it also
corresponds with how I generally think about making graphs: it is very
similar to writing a text: I am first trying to deside on the basic
structure of the text/graph. At this point in time I'll try out various
structures, and each attempt is very rough. Once I have chosen, I'll
gradually refine it till I get what I want.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen