Re: st: AW: using non-acroread viewer for pdf docs

From   Hiroyuki Kawakatsu <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: using non-acroread viewer for pdf docs
Date   Thu, 12 Nov 2009 14:02:01 +0000

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009, Martin Weiss wrote:

> You do need to make sure you do not invite the hazards detailed in this FAQ,
> though: http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/mac/preview.html

Thanks for the pointer to this problem. Not that I have navigated
through the docs extensively, but so far I have no problems with xpdf
following the links. (I did get that
acrobat-does-not-function-properly warning even though i am not using
acrobat when i closed xpdf and accessed help/pdf docs the second time.
i just had to check the don't-show-me-that-message-again button.)

> Given the official recommendation to use Adobe Reader,
> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/documentation.html, I am not sure that
> an option to select a different viewer is such a good idea...

In my case, I don't have acroread installed and I didn't notice this
dependency until I tried to access help/pdf docs. Perhaps it should
check that acroread is installed and, if not, print a warning that pdf
viewing is broken unless acroread is installed or stata_pdf is
modified at the user's peril to use an alternative viewer. I am glad
that there is a way to use an alternative viewer and we shouldn't have
to look hard to find a way to do so (is stata_pdf documented
somewhere?).

h.
--
+---