AW: st: RE: confused with syntax graphing points

Subject   AW: st: RE: confused with syntax graphing points
Date   Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:57:08 +0100

<>

http://www.stata-press.com/books/wdaus.html

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von Michael
McCulloch
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. November 2009 20:02
An: [email protected]
Betreff: Re: st: RE: confused with syntax graphing points

Nick writes "When a graph command gets complicated,  I tend to copy it
to the do-file editor and space it out so that I can see the
structure. If it looks worth keeping,  keep it as a do-file."

I've often created circumstances where a project do-file gets very
long and unwieldy. Are there any books/articles that provide
architectural guidance on how to build multi-part Stata projects (i.e.
data import, prep, analysis and graphing) so that it's more manageable?
Michael

On Nov 11, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Ben Web Man wrote:

> together if statements and that wasn't working.  I didn't realize what
> I needed to do was string together scatter statements.  Working
> perfectly now!
>
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> You don't say why you feel confused or uncertain.
>>
>> Your existing syntax is along the right lines. You can just
>> elaborate it with more -scatter- calls, each specifying the subset
>> you want using -if- and how you want it shown.
>>
>> The syntax gets more detailed but not different in principle.
>>
>> When a graph command gets complicated, I tend to copy it to the do-
>> file editor and space it out so that I can see the structure. If it
>> looks worth keeping, keep it as a do-file.
>>
>> Nick
>> [email protected]
>>
>> Webicky
>>
>> I am looking to add several classification points to a scatter graph.
>> The idea is to keep ONE graph.
>>
>> scatter  testscore age if test_group==2, msymbol(Oh) || scatter
>> testscore age if test_group==1, msymbol(Th) is my first step.  This
>> works fine.
>>
>> The question I have struggled with is how to change only some points
>> that are displayed in the scatter graph but keep the entire graph.
>>
>> I want to use variable expgroup(1=yes 0==no) to change markers where
>> expgroup== 1 & test_group==2 to msymbol(O) and where expgroup== 1 &
>> test_group==1 to msymbol(T), but keep them in the same graph. So -
>> I'd
>> have the same graph above except some points would be hollow others
>> filled.
>>
>> I'd like to add one more step of complexity and change the size of
>> the
>> markers based on more variable - again keeping it in the same
>> scatter.
>> for example variable entrypoint(1=ontime, 0=late). test_group==2  &
>> entrypoint ==1 / test_group==1  & entrypoint ==1.
>>

>> *
>> *   For searches and help try:

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Foundation