RE: st: Stata 10 is Malware (also version 11?)

From   "Verkuilen, Jay" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 10 is Malware (also version 11?)
Date   Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:07:23 -0500

Lachenbruch, Peter wrote:

>A thought just occurred to me.  Is it possible that the problem is someone was using a large dataset on small Stata?  I still don't understand how a set of illegal serial numbers could lead to a version being installed.  No doubt someone hacked the algorithm.  <

I think that the "version" is pretty much the same across installs. The SN determines the capabilities but the code you've got on your drive is (I suspect) the same, just that some of it won't work when you have IC instead of SE. Thus a cracked SN might well really confuse even a legitimate copy of Stata. This is speculation on my part---I really don't know if this is the case here but it's the way lots of SN checks work (as I remember from working in a software shop back in the 90s). In the software I worked on, we had a checksum to ensure that the software was a legit and up to date copy because, well, you'd be surprised what users will try....

Jay