st: AW: Keeping variable After restore

Subject   st: AW: Keeping variable After restore
Date   Mon, 9 Nov 2009 15:28:17 +0100

<>

Instead of -keep-ing the year 2000:

***
webuse bg2, clear
gen year=2000*(_n<200)+ /*
*/ 2001*(_n>=200)
qui factor bg2cost1-bg2cost6  /*
*/ if year==2000
predict var1
***

and off you go...

HTH
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] Im Auftrag von C.T. Shehzad
Gesendet: Montag, 9. November 2009 15:22
An: [email protected]
Betreff: st: Keeping variable After restore

Dear Stata-listers:

I want to generate a variable during (preserve - restore) and want to
use that after restoring the data. When I will restore data the variable
will be dropped automatically. How can I keep the variable?

The data is time series and a simple version of my program is as follows:

preserve
keep if year == 2000
factor x1 x2 x3
predict var1
restore

gsort -year
replace var1= var1[_n-1] if var1 >= .
xtset country year
xtreg dep var1 controls

The problem in this program is that after restoring the data I will not
have var1 anymore. What can be a possible solution?

Thanks and best regards,

Tanveer