Re: st: Stata 10 is Malware (also version 11?)

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata 10 is Malware (also version 11?)
Date   Sun, 8 Nov 2009 15:16:41 +0000

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Demo Crazy <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The words "available on the web" speak volumes. To the best
>> of my
>> knowledge, serial numbers are made available only through
>> StataCorp.
>> If you have downloaded a serial number from a site other
>> than
>> StataCorp's, it is not a legitimate number and your copy is
>> illegal.
>> If you bought your copy from StataCorp (or one of its
>> agents) you
>> would have received a valid number and there would be no
>> need to go
>> looking on the web.
>
> As have been said (please, read!), even although I have a serial, nothing prevents me from using my legal software with an ilegal serial. I do not need but I can use another serial just as an experiment, right?

So you've done your "experiment" and are dis-satisfied with the result?

> Maybe someone in this list  thinks that it is very difficult or tricky (from him) to reinstall. It is really trivial for me: just use another computer to install it, just format your disk and make a fresh install of Stata with a serial (different from the one Stata Corp), etc... Wow, how difficult!

No need to be patronising, I'm almost definitely sure that there are
things you don't know how to do that others would find "easy".

> And yes, the funny thing is that Stata does not reject it (a perfectly valid way of protecting their rights), but let you use it with "buggy" behaviour, not specific to outreg2 or any particular command: just saving, collapsing, etc. the dataset.

Again this is inline with the stipulation that a valid install
requires a valid license/authorisation to function properly.  No
surprises there.

Neil

--
"The combination of some data and an aching desire for an answer does
not ensure that a reasonable answer can be extracted from a given body

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://slack.ser.man.ac.uk/