st: RE: macro length exceeded

Subject   st: RE: macro length exceeded
Date   Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:24:44 +0100

<>

You do not have to -set obs- in any way, as _you_ have the data that you
want to use. I do not, so I had to make them up to test ideas for you.

Anyway, the -macro length- is also exceeded on my machine when I try to work
with 128040 individuals (via -set obs 128040- at the top of the do file).
But there is an easier solution: Omit the -levelsof- line which causes the
error. Set up the loop as

*******
qui forvalues id=1/`=_N'{
       drop `touse'
}
*******

which lets it run through all the rows of your dataset, one after another.
This is of course a time intensive procedure, but it is a way to circumvent
the limitations imposed by the macro length. It only works if the -personid-
runs from 1 to 128040, i.e. no gaps in there. -levelsof- would have put the
levels of the variable into the macro, that is why I went for it in the
first place...

HTH
Martin