Re: st: Matrix syntax with Stata 11

From   [email protected] (Jeff Pitblado, StataCorp LP)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Matrix syntax with Stata 11
Date   Mon, 02 Nov 2009 16:46:28 -0600

Herve STOLOWY <[email protected]> is setting rownames on a matrix, but gets an
error in Stata 11 where Stata 10 did not complain:

> I have the following command:
>
> matrix rownames m9 = "Foreign ownership - Treatment (i)" "Foreign ownership - Control (ii)" "Difference (i-ii)" "T-Test" "p-value"
>
> With Stata 10, it used to work without problem.
>
> I have received Stata 11/MP today. Now, with the same command, I get the
> following error message:
>
> Foreign ownership - Treatment (i) invalid name
>
> I apologize because I did not have time to investigate all the changes in
> Stata 11.
>
> Would you have any idea?

During the development of Stata 10, the matrix column- and row-name parser and
data structures were modified to accommodate what eventually became the factor
variable features in Stata 11.  Unfortunately this resulted in an unintended
side-effect where Stata 10 became tolerant of column- and row-names with up to
33 characters instead of 32 (a limit present in Stata 9 and earlier).

During Stata 11's development, the matrix column- and row-name parser was
fully redesigned for the new factor variables features.  The 32 character
limit was restored.

We did not mean to give you something and then take it back, but the character
limits on matrix column- and row-names are strictly dependent on the length of
names in Stataa, see -c(namelen)- in -help creturn-.

--Jeff