st: Question regarding -asclogit-

Subject   st: Question regarding -asclogit-
Date   Mon, 2 Nov 2009 23:07:08 +0100

<>

I am forwarding this message on behalf of Regina. Let me translate:

She wants to conduct a conditional logit analysis with panel data. In the
course of this analysis, she wants to calculate a regression coefficient for
each household.

An excerpt of her dataset is as follows:

***
clear*

inp byte(hhnr Var1 Var2 Var3)
1     5    6    3
1     4    8    5
1     4    9    6
1     7    3    7
2     4    9    2
2     8    4    8
3     4    2    2
end

list, noo
***

She tried the following command: - asclogit Var3, casevars (Var2 Var1)
case(hhnr) alternative(hhnr)-, which Stata rejected.

Clearly, she cannot supply the same variable to -asclogit- for the options
-case()- and -alternative()-. -alternative()- must " ...identify the
alternatives available for each case", as the help file indicates.

She may also want to look at the whole universe of Stata estimation
commands, assembled in -help estimation commands-. -clogit- should be high
up on her list. I hope that other Statalisters can provide even more advice.

HTH
Martin