RE: st: Submitting a command in a couples of pieces

Subject   RE: st: Submitting a command in a couples of pieces
Date   Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:20:56 +0100

<>

"-_request()- will store the result in a local macro if you prefix its name
with an underscore"

I spent most of the few minutes required for my reply wondering why I could
not get the -local- -macro- route to work. Now that Bill has pointed out the
solution, I appreciate that the last example, in [P] on p. 102, does say
exactly what you are supposed to do to make this work. And yet: Is it not
highly unusual that the user has to supply the underscore for the -local-?
(I cannot think of another command that requires this treatment). This fact
could be given more prominence in the manual entry, as normally Stata would
prepend the underscore for you, as is obvious from:

***
ma drop _allv
local a 1
ma di