Re: st: xtmelogit with variable as fixed and random effect error r(3200)

From   [email protected] (Roberto G. Gutierrez, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtmelogit with variable as fixed and random effect error r(3200)
Date   Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:43:26 -0500

Jennifer Schmitt <[email protected]> writes:

> I am trying to run xtmelogit with fixed effect dummy variables for village,
> but also include a random effect (a random intercept) for village.  My
> coding thus looks like:

> xi: xtmelogit depvar i.villagecode age gender || villagecode:

> However, when I try this I get the following error message:
> *:  3200  conformability error
> _xtgm_estimate_re():     -  function returned error
> _xtgm_estimate_re_st():     -  function returned error
> <istmt>:     -  function returned error
> r(3200);

As Maarten Buis <[email protected]> points out, that is probably not a
model you want to fit.  However, you should not be getting a Mata runtime
error.

Our attempts to reproduce this did not produce a Mata runtime error, but
instead a model fit that showed the model as unidentified, namely

   . webuse bangladesh, clear
   . keep if district <= 10
   . xi: xtmelogit c_use i.district age || district:

Mata runtime errors can sometimes result from your Stata executable and ado
files not being in sync.  If after checking for this the problem persists,
please email us a dataset that can reproduce it and we'll be glad to take a
closer look.

--Bobby