st: Random walk simplex

From   "Akshay Shanker" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Random walk simplex
Date   Fri, 23 Oct 2009 13:55:13 +1100

Hi all,

I was hoping someone would be able to  help me out.

I am trying to create a random walking simplex in STATA. The procedure
to create a random K dimension simplex seems straightforward:

- generate K uniform RVs Xi...Xk in (0,1)
- each point in the random simplex is then i/(sum(-logXi)).

But how would I go about getting this simplex to do a random walk in
Stata? More specifically, how can I choose a markov like draw of
-logXi,t based on an already given -logXi,t-1. There seems to be a
metropolis-hastings algo which selects this draw from a gamma
distribution with a mean of Xi,t-1 - but not sure how to do this in
STATA. Ideally I'd like to be able to generate a KxN matrix where the
coloumns are the simplex, which walk over the rows.

Regards,
Akshay