RE: st: Elements of Statistical Learning

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Elements of Statistical Learning
Date   Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:21:24 +0100

It's more the other way round. I quoted this book for this reason in
<http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-10/msg00754.html> on 16
October.

While we're talking free books, I've just been looking at the entire
text (over 500 pp.) of

Brinton, Willard Cope. 1939. Graphic presentation. New York: Brinton
Associates. <http://www.archive.org/details/graphicpresentat00brinrich>

You can see that self-publishing books on graphics did not start with
Edward Tufte in 1983...

Richard Williams

At 01:14 PM 10/20/2009, Scott Merryman wrote:
>Trevor Hastie, Robert Tibshirani, and Jerome Friedman have put a PDF
>copy of the second edition of their text Elements of Statistical
>Learning on the book's website.
>
>http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~tibs/ElemStatLearn/
>
>Scott

They've obviously been paying attention to Nick's concerns for the color
blind:

"Our first edition was unfriendly to colorblind readers; in particular,
we tended to favor red/green contrasts which are particularly
troublesome.
We have changed the color palette in this edition to a large
extent, replacing the above with an orange/blue contrast."