st: orthogonal pairing of observations

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
To   Statalist Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: orthogonal pairing of observations
Date   Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:33:47 -0700

I'm seeking to create an orthogonal pairing of two sets of observations
I've read the help for -orthog-, hoping it could do this, but I don't need to create the polynomial.

An example using the auto dataset is, if in a separate dataset I created records for four drivers, and then wanted to create records of matched sets where each driver got the opportunity to drive each car.

clear
set obs 4
gen driver = _n
tab driver
save mydrivers.dta, replace

I'm seeking advice on how to achieve something like this:
* merge the two datasets, auto.dta and mydrivers.dta, creating in the process that orthogonal pairing

Michael McCulloch
Pine Street Foundation
124 Pine Street
San Anselmo, CA 94960-2674