Re: st: parea package

Subject   Re: st: parea package
Date   Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:22:26 -0400

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM, Ronan Conroy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 13 DFómh 2009, at 10:20, Allan Reese (Cefas) wrote:
>
>> Tried to install Sergiy Radyakin's twoway_parea package.  It has copied
>> 6 files to c:\ado\plus\... and the demo.do, but running the demo
>> produces these messages and no patterned areas.  What else do I need to
>> fetch?
>

> Same problem on OSX

2Ronan: Quote from the parea package desription (1st line):
"'TWOWAY_PAREA': module to generate area graph with pattern fills
(Windows only)"
OSX is not Windows, despite its use of windows to display information.

2Kit, could you please change "Windows" to "OS Microsoft Windows" in
the package description to avoid further confusion?

2Linux users, can anyone confirm that the patterns work on a Linux
system? Then we may write "Windows and Linux only", or better yet
"works anywhere, but Mac" :) I think I had such a confirmation before,
but I can't find it anymore.

2Everyone: be careful with switching between different versions of
Stata. Some conventions have changed (AFAIK) between V9 and V10 and
now files with extension ".style" must be located in a special "style"
subdirectory of the respective ado directory. Previously the files
were sorted by the first letter of the name. I don't think the change
is documented, but it affects only graphic commands developed using
Stata's graphics engine, like -parea-. This means that if you are
working with Stata 9 and want to install and use Stata 10, you may
have to uninstall such packages from Stata 9, install Stata 10, then
re-install such packages again, to let the files be placed to the new
directories. If you are working with multiple Stata's simultaneously,
consider having C:\ADO\PLUS9\, C:\ADO\PLUS10\, and C:\ADO\PLUS11\
directories. Alternatively, all files can be placed into a single
directory, but this is not what -net install- does by default. Sadly
Stata 10 does not seem to be backwards compatible wuth this respect,
and would not search in the previous location.

Best regards, Sergiy Radyakin