st: R: Simulation using Stata (flag: 9.2/SE version)

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: R: Simulation using Stata (flag: 9.2/SE version)
Date   Sun, 18 Oct 2009 12:36:26 -0400

I only get the Digest, so do not see the Stata list until the next day.

I submitted a rather extensive article to the Stata Journal a while back that shows how to create a number of different types of synthetic data sets using Stata. I also provide code that can be amended by the user to modify the models as they desire.. Included are, in part, logit and probit both binary and proportional response, Poisson with and without offsets and with a separate cluster variable, negative binomial with and without offsets -- I show for each NB2, NB1, quasipoisson, and NB-C. I also show multinomial and ordered logit and probit models, and synthetic hurdle models. The user can specify how many predictors they what and their coefficient values, and for NB models can specify the desired value of alpha, the ancillary parameter. For categorical response models, the user can select how many levels and the coefficients in each level, and for ordered models,
the values of coefficients and cut values.

I used and explained many of these models in my text, "Logistic Regression Models", but the article goes into greater length for non-binomial models. If you are having a need to create a synthetic model of this type, or others which can use the same logic for construction, let me know and I'll send it to you. Email me a [email protected]

I am a strong advocate of using synthetic models to better understand real models. Fortunately, Stata has all of the tools necessary to create a wide variety of synthetic
models.

Joseph Hilbe

Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 14:37:59 +0200
From: "Martin Weiss" <[email protected]>
Subject: st: RE: R: RE: R: Simulation using Stata (flag: 9.2/SE version)

<>

Well, the MUS book is pretty comprehensive in its coverage of MCs, and the presentation by Ian White at the London UGM this year may fill some blank spots. Stata.com seems to be down at the moment, so cannot post the link...

A book totally devoted to MC would be a bit of a stretch, IMHO...

HTH
Martin