Re: st: Using the 2008 American National Election Study with Stata v.11

Subject   Re: st: Using the 2008 American National Election Study with Stata v.11
Date   Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:19:03 -0400

Peter Wielhouwer <[email protected]> :
You can also use a geographic id as a clustering variable if PSU is
unavailable--or even if PSU is available and PSUs are nested within
geography and you think there is clustering by geography.

. u anes2008_2009panel_dataset, clear

. svyset [pw=wgtbase]

      pweight: wgtbase
          VCE: linearized
  Single unit: missing
     Strata 1: <one>
         SU 1: <observations>
        FPC 1: <zero>

. svy:ta w10p4, ci
(running tabulate on estimation sample)

Number of strata   =         1  Number of obs      =       619
Number of PSUs     =       619  Population size    = 610.10636
                                Design df          =       618

w10p4.    |
Favor or  |
oppose    |
raising   |
taxes on  |
incomes   |
over      |
200k/yr   | proportions           lb           ub
----------+--------------------------------------
 1, Favor |        .381        .3393        .4245
 2, Oppos |       .0682        .0496        .0931
 3, Neith |       .5508        .5066        .5943

    Total |           1
Key:  proportions  =  cell proportions
      lb           =  lower 95% confidence bounds for cell proportions
      ub           =  upper 95% confidence bounds for cell proportions

. egen c=group(stratum cdstate), mi label

. svyset c [pw=wgtbase]

      pweight: wgtbase
          VCE: linearized
  Single unit: missing
     Strata 1: <one>
         SU 1: c
        FPC 1: <zero>

. svy:ta w10p4, ci
(running tabulate on estimation sample)

Number of strata   =         1   Number of obs      =       619
Number of PSUs     =        81   Population size    = 610.10636
                                 Design df          =        80

w10p4.    |
Favor or  |
oppose    |
raising   |
taxes on  |
incomes   |
over      |
200k/yr   | proportions           lb           ub
 1, Favor |        .381        .3383        .4255
 2, Oppos |       .0682        .0513        .0903
 3, Neith |       .5508        .5098        .5912