Re: st: RE: Shrinkage factor

From   Evans Jadotte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Shrinkage factor
Date   Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:37:47 +0200

Robert A Yaffee wrote:
Evans,
      Sorry my salutation and message got left-
truncated. I suspect it is some inadvertently programmed
hot-key that snipped the beginning of my email. Nonetheless, I think you understand the idea.
       Because the notion applies to multiple levels, the notion
of pooling may avoid some ambiguity. Best, Bob

Robert A. Yaffee, Ph.D.
Research Professor
Silver School of Social Work
New York University

Biosketch: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ray1/Biosketch2009.pdf

CV:  http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ray1/vita.pdf

----- Original Message -----
From: Evans Jadotte <[email protected]>
Date: Thursday, October 15, 2009 4:48 am
Subject: Re: st: RE: Shrinkage factor
To: [email protected]

Hi Bob,

In fact, this is the formula I have. My problem is the malleability of n_j. Since I have 496 clusters at level-2 with many unbalanced observations within each cluster, the manual calculation can make one go crazy! I think I will have to dedicate some gooood time to this! In any case many thanks for your output.

Evans
Robert A Yaffee wrote:
prefer the use of "a pooling factor" in multilevel models to indicate the the degree to which elements are pooled together.

They use the same formula for the residual intraclass coefficient that
is used for the shrinkage factor on population distribution a,
 but refer to 1-B  as the pooling factor
when B = 1 - [ sigma^2/(sigma^2 + sigma_y^2/n_j)]

for them,   a_j (multilevel) =  B mu_a +  (1-B) ybar_j
where
ybar_j = avg of the y's within each group j
mu_a = average of the population

B = 0 when there is no pooling a_j=ybar_j
   = 1 when there is complete pooling  a_j = mu_a

- Hope this helps. This comes from Gelman and Hill Data
Analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models, Cambridge University Press, p. 477.