st: Using the 2008 American National Election Study with Stata v.11

From   Peter Wielhouwer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Using the 2008 American National Election Study with Stata v.11
Date   Wed, 14 Oct 2009 16:20:43 -0400

Is anyone familiar with using the 2008 NES with Stata? I have two specific questions:

1. Which weight command is most appropriate for the data? Based on the Stata UG, it seems that the -iweight- syntax is most appropriate, but is that correct?

2. In the ANES 2008 user guide, we are advised, "due to the complex sample design of the ANES, sampling errors and related statistics (including confidence intervals, p-values, t-tests, and all other tests of statistical significance) should not be calculated using methods intended for simple random samples." In light of this, which would be the appropriate statistics to use in Stata?

I am using Stata IC v.11 on Windows XP.

Thank you,

Peter