st: RE: Keep value labels after -mvdecode-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Keep value labels after -mvdecode-
Date   Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:50:33 +0100

One way to do this is just to define value labels for .a, .b, .c, etc.
and assign them to the new or changed variable. Regardless of how many
variables you have, that needs no more than a single -label define- and
a single -label values-.

Another way, either simpler or more complicated according to taste, is
to use -recode-.

Cohen, Elan

My data consists of different types of missing values currently stored
as negative integers.  I'm using -mvdecode- to code them as missing, but
I'd like to tranfer the value labels along with it.  Is this possible?

I need to do this for over 100 variables who have different value label
names but the same coding of missing values.  There are up to 19
different types of missing values coded.

I'm running Stata 10 on WinXP.