st: R: Which regression model to use for zero-inflated, non-normal outcome?

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: R: Which regression model to use for zero-inflated, non-normal outcome?
Date   Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:33:04 +0200

<(1) The outcome is non-normal (swilk p-value 0.0000), so I can't use a
linear regression model.>

But the normality assumption in linear regression refers to residuals rather
than independent variable. If your independent variable is per patient
health care costs, for instance, there's a very negligible chance that they
follow a normal distribution.

<(4) Negative binomial model has a better fit, but does the high number of
zeros raise any concern?>

Observed zeros can give you some problems as far as their frequency is
higher than that expected by the probability distribution you selected.

<(5) I also tried zero inflated negative binomial regression, but all the
examples I've seen are where one of the independent variables has a high
number of zeros. Is it appropriate to use the zinb command when the
dependent variable has a high number of zeros?>

For more on this topic, please see:
J. Scott Long, Jeremy Frase. Regression Model for Categorical Dependent
Variables Using Stata. Second edition. College Station: Stata Press, 2006.

I do not know whether a more recent version is currently available (please,
see www.stata.com, bookstore section.

HTH and Kind Regards,
Carlo