st: Finding controls within 5 years of age of a case

From   Michael McCulloch <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Finding controls within 5 years of age of a case
Date   Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:39:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Statalist friends,
I have a list of cases and controls uniquely identified by an ID variable. I'd like to list all controls within 5 years of age of each case, and then mark those controls with a new variable identifying the match. This creates, in effect, a cluster that will be accounted for in analysis.

Is there an efficient way to create that matching variable?

Michael McCulloch
124 Pine St
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Tel. 415-407-1357