Re: st: AW: Why is the adj. R-squared lower with time FE than with time & firm FE?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: AW: Why is the adj. R-squared lower with time FE than with time & firm FE?
Date   Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:00:48 +0200

Hello Martin,

I also thought of the "penalizing effect" of including more variables (firm dummies) on the R-squared. However, in Eq.1, the adj. R-squared and the within R-squared (which corresponds to the unadjusted R-squared, that Stata reports with xtreg) are not much different from each other. For example the adjusted R-squared equals 0.627 and the within R-squared equals 0.615 in Eq.1 (the between R-squared however is higher: 0.723). In Eq. 2, the adj. R-squared rises to 0.916... How is this possible and what is the role of the between R-squared in this case?

Thanks in advance!
Ida

Zitat von Martin Weiss <[email protected]>:

<>

" Thus, intuitively, as there are more variables in the Eq.1, I thought that

the adjusted R-squared should be higher than in Eq.2."

It all depends on whether you are talking about the adjusted R2 or not. Note
in the example that R2 does indeed increase, even when a meaningless
covariate is added, and that the adjusted R2 penalizes you for an additional
covariate, with the penalty exceeding the increase in the unadjusted R2...

***
clear*
 set obs 10000
 set seed 123456