st: RE: Capture inside a forvalues loop

Subject   st: RE: Capture inside a forvalues loop
Date   Thu, 24 Sep 2009 19:53:05 +0200

<>

While we are being picky: If all you want is the max and no display of any
kind, you might as well code

**************
sum duplicate, mean
forvalues j = 1/`r(max)' {
**************

They say it is faster than a normal -summarize-...

Also see Nick`s http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0135

HTH
Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Conor Sontag
Sent: Donnerstag, 24. September 2009 19:26
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: Capture inside a forvalues loop

I have an error inside of my for values loop which is inconsequential
to my results, but i would like to log it in another variable so I can
later look at the data set and see where the error occured.  What I
have now is:

*****
quietly sum duplicate
forvalues j = 1/`r(max)' {
capture replace advisor = advisorindividual`j' if duplicate == `j'
}

I have tried a couple of different ways, but I'm not sure how I can
create a variable "error" which will displays zeros in each row where
the error did not occur, and display the error _rc in the rows that it
did occur.

Thanks,
Conor