st: re: Hansen J with multiple endogenous variables

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: Hansen J with multiple endogenous variables
Date   Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:12:50 -0400

<>
I am estimating a model with multiple endogenous variables (i.e., 3)
using xtivreg2. The output includes the Hansen J. Why is that we only
have 1 Hansen J (instead of 3) when there are 3 endogenous variables?
My intuition tells me that that is because we are simply testing
whether the instrument set is correctly excluded from the second stage
model (which is only 1). Can anyone suggest any references where I
could get more intuition on the issue?

As discussed in Baum-Schaffer-Stillman papers in Stata Journal 2003, 2007, IMEUS and the Stata manual, the Hansen-Sargan statistic is a measure that pertains to the overall regression. In the IV-GMM context, it is a test of the 'overidentifying restrictions' that each of the instruments are orthogonal to the error process. Thus it does not matter how many endogenous variables appear in the equation, and in fact we are not questioning their asserted endogeneity. What matters, for the Hansen J dof, is the number of OID restrictions. You can challenge the endogeneity/exogeneity status of endogenous variables in B-S-S -ivreg2- (available from ssc) using the endog() or orthog() options.

Kit

An Introduction to Stata Programming | http://www.stata-press.com/books/isp.html