Re: st: dbetafit does not work

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: dbetafit does not work
Date   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:36:23 +0000 (GMT)

Paula reported a problem while using -dbetafit-.

> I am trying to estimate a model where the dependent
> variable is proportion. I downloaded the -betafit-
> module and I have been able to run the estimation
> procedure. However, I can't use the -dbetafit-
> postestimation command... I get  message that says
> "+_b invalid name r(198)".

Paula was kind enough to sent us a copy of here data
that reproduced the problem. It turned out that her
dataset contained variable names with accented
characters. I was initially sceptical whether that
was allowed at all, but I talked to the people from
StataCorp (one of the advantages of going to Stata
Users' Group meetings), and they said that accented
characters in variable names are legal, and we
tracked down the point where -dbetafit- chocked on
them. This turned out to be a bug in Stata (accented
characters are allowed in variable names but not in
local macro names), which they promised to fix. Till
they do, Paula can work around this problem by
changing the variable names so that they do not
contain any special characters. She can change
variable names using the -rename- command.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen