Re: st: Help with mathematical operation

From   Bert Jung <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Help with mathematical operation
Date   Fri, 11 Sep 2009 08:07:46 -0400

Hello Tim,

A brute-force method may be to create multiple datasets (one for each
multiplication) and append them.  Probably not the most efficient
approach but it works:

* Example
clear
set obs 1000

gen x = _n

* Create datasets for y=x*2 ... y=x*4

forvalues i = 2/4 {
	preserve
		tempfile tmp`i'
		gen y = x*`i'
		save `tmp`i''
	restore
}

* Now return to first dataset and append the others (note that i = 2/4
as in above loop)
gen y = x*1

forvalues i = 2/4 {
	append using `tmp`i''