Re: st: RE: Creating interaction terms of 30 continuous variables

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Creating interaction terms of 30 continuous variables
Date   Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:53:25 -0400

Leaving aside whether this is wise, I'd do something like this:

unab vars : var1-var30
local nvar : word count `vars'
forval i = 1/`nvar' {
  forval j = 1/`=`i'-1' {
    local x : word `i' of `vars'
    local y : word `j' of `vars'
    generate `x'X`y' = `x' * `y'
  }
}

This puts the variable list into local macro `vars', then grabs the variables sequentially from the list. The inner loop (y) only goes up to the variable prior to the current outer loop (x) variable, which means we create only one version of each interaction and avoid creating the squares of each variable as well.

Or, in Stata 11, you can specify all the interactions with factor varlists, without creating any interaction variables at all. For example, to regress variable myvar on all the interactions:

regress myvar c.(var1-var30)#c.(var1-var30)

- Nick Winter