Re: st: Re: spliting multiple response variable

From   Svend Juul <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: spliting multiple response variable
Date   Thu, 10 Sep 2009 08:28:32 +0200

RAJA wrote:

I have a variable which is multiple response and is a string variable
and is in character. Now, I want to know how may respondents was given
different characters. The following is the example of the variable
with 5 observations

     Var1
  1. ABCDE
  2. BFGH
  3. ABIJK
  4. BDJK
  5. BC

Now, I want to know how many are answered A, or B or C or D or E etc.

To put it another way: You want a separate variable for each response
/A, B, C, ...).

clear
input str5 var1
ABCDE
BFGH
ABIJK
BDJK
BC
end

foreach V of newlist A B C D E F G H I J K {
   gen `V' = strpos(var1,"`V'")>0
}

Hope this helps
Svend

Svend Juul
(School of Public Health, Department of Epidemiology)
Bartholins Allé 2
DK-8000 Aarhus C,  Denmark
Phone:   +45 8693 7796
Mobile:  +45 2634 7796