R: R: st: R: reporting time dependent covariates in cox regression

From   "Carlo Lazzaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   R: R: st: R: reporting time dependent covariates in cox regression
Date   Fri, 4 Sep 2009 15:04:21 +0200

Dear Moleps,
Thanks a lot for the follow-up message.
Your solution (separate rows for fixed and time-varying results)in the same table) seems wise and easy to get, given a limited theoretical introduction, even for referees or readers with just a smattering of Cox regression.

Kind Regards,
Carlo
-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Per conto di moleps islon
Inviato: venerdì 4 settembre 2009 12.35
A: [email protected]
Oggetto: Re: R: st: R: reporting time dependent covariates in cox regression

thanks. From what, Maarten Buis, has taught me that the interpretation
of the time-varying variable is not too hard. You multiply the "fixed"
variable with the time varying variable raised to the power of time
you're interested in, ie at time 5 (days,minutes,years-depending on
your axis) you'll have the hazard ratio of the
-rh-variable*-t-variable^5. So in other words a -t- variable <1
reduces the hazard ratio over time and a -t-var >1 increases the
hazard ratio over time. Since the end-point in my study is death I'm
not surprised to find that several of my covariates have -t-var <1.
Intuitively most factors will diminish in importance as death is
imposing.

What is harder to interpret is an interaction between two time-varying
covariates.

I think what I'll do is to create a table and report my time-varying
covariates in a separate row beneath the "fixed" effect in case of
significance.

Moleps