RE: st: RE: Survey design degrees of freedom help

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Survey design degrees of freedom help
Date   Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:00:16 -0400

Jennifer,

Off the top of my head, it seems to me that, if degrees of freedom can
be considered roughly as the 'independent pieces of information' in the
model, I suppose that given the random choosing of your clusters
(villages), those 20 sub-groups are your only independent pieces of
information in your sample, and anything selected out of that
(sub-villages, then households) would be related, as they are in the
same cluster or PSU.

BUT, given the further sampling of households out of 'sub-villages' -
isn't this multi-stage sampling?  Stata can handle that as well, I
believe, although I haven't had cause to use it (yet).  I am not sure
how that would affect the degrees of freedom as Stata calculates it.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Jennifer
Schmitt
Sent: September 3, 2009 1:48 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: Survey design degrees of freedom help

My sample size is 489, but I only have 20 PSU, 3 Strata so my design df
= 20-3-1 (for the constant).  I have a stratified, clustered sample and
so my design df are based off my PSU and are thus really low.  I just do

not know know why this is the case (I have accepted that it is the
case), but I can't defend that without knowing why (or maybe it is
wrong, but everything in the FAQ and help sections online suggest it is
correct).  Thanks.

--
Jennifer Schmitt
PhD Candidate - Conservation Biology Program