st: Using weights in a graph dot

From   "Salome Dell-Kuster" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Using weights in a graph dot
Date   Thu, 03 Sep 2009 18:11:40 +0200

Hello,

i got stuck in a problem with the weights for a 'graph dot'.  And if I
may, I would like to ask you for help.

My plan was to create a 'graph dot' for several groups where the size of
the marker should represent the number of observations in the
corresponding group. I could find the weight-option in the help file and
tried several ways but without success (on the other hand, I was able to
do it the same way in a scatter plot, which is not as convenient for all
the other features of the graph). The ways I tried out was with _n
(system variable) and with a variable including the effectiv numbers of
observations and I also used proportions as another solution - but
nothing worked.

My command: graph dot (median) diff_ga_aa [aweight=number], over(group1)
over(group2)

One problem could be that the number of observations goes from about 2
to 1400 in the different groups.

Could you give me any hints how to solve this problem or recommend me a
book where I can find an example.

Kind regards,

Salome Dell-Kuster

Salome Dell-Kuster, MD MSc