st: seeking answer to survey set question

From   "Sanders, James Parry" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: seeking answer to survey set question
Date   Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:59:23 -0700

Hello,
NELS (educational) data comes packaged with psu, pw, and strata data.  When I svyset the data, I am told that 1,406 cases have missing values in the survey characteristics (all 1,406 are missing psu and strata data).  Thus, when I run a survey command (e.g. svy: ologit) these 1,406 are excluded from the analysis.  Alternatively, I can keep the 1,406 in by running a standard command and including 2 of the three weights but leaving out the strata values (e.g. ologit depvar indvar1 indvar2 [pw=pw], cluster(psu)).  Either way the results are essentially the same.

My question(s) is/are this:  Which way is preferred?  The first way includes all weights but drops 8% of the sample who otherwise have complete data.  The second way keeps everyone but doesn't include the strata data and may thus not be fully representative of the population. Is there a way to keep cases lacking psu and strata data in svy commands.  Alternatively, is there a way to include the strata data in the non-survey command?
Thanks for any help,
James