Re: st: Has anyone used STATA 11 on Windows 7 (32bit)?

From   "Eric A. Booth" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Has anyone used STATA 11 on Windows 7 (32bit)?
Date   Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:06:14 -0500

Diana:

There shouldn't be any issues with running Stata 11 under Snow Leopard (10.6).

One of the only differences between Leopard & Snow Leopard that will affect Stata 11 will be that Snow Leopard has been completely transitioned to 64-bit, so this *should* make Stata faster (if only because the other programs, system resources, and kernel binaries running on the machine will now be in 64-bit) and more stable (it's improved argument handling should make it more resilient to any issues with Stata crashing...though this hasn't happened very often for me). Also, Apple has been touting that, in theory, Snow Leopard could recognize 16 EXABYTES (or 16 billion GB) of physical RAM (versus the current 32 GB ram limit); that is, if you had a machine or cluster with that level of resources.

While I'm not going to go out and buy Snow Leopard until Apple has had a month or two to send out updates to fix any bugs/issues, I think there is a clear advantage in running Stata 11 on 10.6 rather than 10.5.

Best,

Eric

__
Eric A. Booth