RE: st: Stata 11 Random Effects--Std. Errors

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Stata 11 Random Effects--Std. Errors
Date   Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:49:20 +0100

I agree strongly, in this case. Most statistical science would be even
more difficult than it is without some bedrock of agreed terminology,
however.

DE SOUZA Eric

Before others in the group go crazy, let me add one last question and
remark. Who was asking for consistency? I was just saying: let me (and
some others) continue with heteroscedasticity and those who want to use
heteroskedasticity may do so.

Nick Cox

Got you. I'll write heteroskedastic when others agree to honour
etymology and talk about kylikal variations.

Econometrica which published this did not see the light and change its
name to Econometrika.

As I recall, heteroscedastic was coined by Karl Pearson who changed his
own name from Carl to Karl and founded Biometrika, so consistency's the
hobgoblin of little minds.

DE SOUZA Eric

Just referring to McCulloch's second last paragraph.
A better counter-argument to him would be c is sclerosis or in sceptic.
(Yes, I know Americans spell sceptic with a k).

Nick Cox

I see no Latin here. The root elements of heteroscedasticity are Greek
words.

DE SOUZA Eric replied to Austin Nichols

Ah--interesting, and I applaud the terminology change!  Robust is
certainly an ambiguous description, as is sandwich, whereas het-robust
and cluster-robust are fairly specific (esp. when combined with a
reference to the literature).  Maybe new vce() term hrobust or
hetrobust?  Please don't make us spell out heteroskedasticity...  ;)

McCulloch, J.H. 1985. "On Heteros*edasticity." Econometrica 53(2): 483.
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1911250

Pace McCulloch, in Classical Latin the "g" is hard and the "c" sounds
like "k".
Although in Ecclesiastical Latin, the "g" is soft and the c has a "ch"
sound.