Re: st: RE: MLOGIT versus a set of LOGIT models [re-posting]

From   "Michael I. Lichter" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: MLOGIT versus a set of LOGIT models [re-posting]
Date   Wed, 19 Aug 2009 11:14:45 -0400

According to Long and Freese (2003), the reason that a set of binary logits do not produce the same results as a single mlogit is because mlogit places constraints on the coefficients that the set binary logits does not (pp. 190-192). As you know, for a nominal variable Y with J categories, mlogit only estimates J-1 equations. The parameter estimates are constrained so that the third set of parameters are a simple linear combination of the other estimates, which is why they don't need to be shown. Without the constraints, binary logistic will generally produce different results.

Long JS, Freese J. Regression models for categorical dependent variables using Stata. Revised ed. College Station, Tex.: Stata Press; 2003.

Jon Heron wrote:
 Thanks Kieran,

 I was beginning to think that the difference lay between continuous
 and categorical predictors - i had shown that a model with a 4-level
 categorical predictor could be factored into logits, whilst treating
 the same variable as continuous meant that this was not possible.

 I now see that including *two* categorical predictors also results in
 the logits giving a different answer.  Hence it does appear to be
 model complexity rather than variable type.

 I have a Kleinbaum paper in front of me (IJE 26(6), pp1323-1333)
 but I will attempt to track down the book you mention.

 In the meantime I think I have learned enough to drop this from
 from my lecture as it is nothing more than a distraction.

 all the best, Jon