Re: st: Thinking through best way to do a longitudinal analysis

Subject   Re: st: Thinking through best way to do a longitudinal analysis
Date   Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:02:38 -0400

Chelsea <[email protected]> :
You can use -statsby- or just calculate directly using a loop over
individuals with -foreach- or using time series operators and the
formula for regression.  But why do you think a linear trend is
appropriate?  Or are you planning to transform the depvar first?  More
importantly, why do you want the individual trends?  Start with
-xtmixed- regressions of the depvar on a spline in time interacted
with the dummy for contraception.  But contraception is not
exogenous--do you have some strategy for causal inference?  I.e. how
do you know any observed difference is the result of contraception
versus some other characteristic associated with contraception?